Inspired by a presentation I have just attended, here are some classic examples of “how not to do it”:
1) You won’t be able to read the detail on this slide
… so why is it there? Is this Mission Impossible?
2) Sorry, this isn’t my presentation
… who are you and what are you doing here?
3) I won’t go into this too much
… so why go into it at all? Is it relevant or isn’t it?
4) I will just skip the next few slides
… are you in a hurry or did someone put them in there by mistake?
5) This presentation is out of date
… can I go now please?
Oration really does seem to be a disappearing art. As a trainer, the best advice I was ever given is “lose the PowerPoint”. Whatever happened to just standing up and talking to people?